A Road Trip To Mount Abu


Mount Abu is a treat for hill station lovers in the Sirohi district of Rajasthan. It is the only hill station in the state and lives up to all the expectations. It is situated at a height of 1200m above the sea level. Guru Shikhar which is the highest peak is at 5650ft from the sea level. Often referred to as 'An oasis in the desert". Mount Abu is home to lakes, waterfalls and evergreen forests. 

Aravallies are calling 


I Started from the City of Lakes, Udaipur. The way to Mount Abu was in simple words is wonderful. The roads were in good condition with no traffic. The views on the way were equally amazing. The hill station was 163km and it took us three hours to reach there excluding a tiny lunch break. And slowly the sand gave way to the spiraling roads to Mount Abu. As soon as we hit the mountain roads it got me up from my slumber mode.


The hill station had a much cooler feel than that of Udaipur. The weather was pleasant for December. Mount Abu gives a respite from the otherwise scorching heat of the desert. The mountain gives picturesque views and is crowded with travelers throughout the year. For me, it was surprising to find so much greenery here in as a stark contrast to the other parts of the state. And I was curious as to what all will I discover more here.

Nakki Lake - Mount Abu


Amid the lush green Aravali hills lies the famous shimmering Nakki Lake. According to the legends, it is believed that the lake was dug out by the gods using nails. Making Nakki lake a landmark of the hill town. 

The lake is surrounded by mountains and rock formations. It is half a mile long and is deeper towards the dam which is on the west. The water contains fishes and I was also able to spot a snake basking in the sun. Nakki lake which is situated at a height of 1200km above the sea level is the only artificial Indian lake to be situated at this height.

Activities such as boat riding are famous among visitors which also turned out informational as my boatman told me that the lake was also famous for suicides. 

It was past noon so I decided to stop at a hotel to put the cravings at rest. Enroute to Guru Shikhar was this beautiful hotel where I had my lunch.


The food was good though a little expensive. But my attention was captured by the surrounding of the hotel which left me totally awestruck. The hotel had rooms for pets also. As I own a pet myself and sometimes wish could take him along with me on trips I liked the concept. After having lunch I went straight to the highest point of Mount Abu. 

Guru Shikhar- Mount Abu


The highest point of the hill station Guru Shikhar is located at an altitude of 1772m above the sea level. The hill peak is at a distance of 15km from the town in the Aravalli range. From here I could see the Guru Dattatreya temple. He is said to be the incarnation of Lords Hindu, Brahma, and Shiva.

At the mountain peak, one can also see other important temples like Chamundi Temple, Shiva Temple, and Mira Temple.

The wind speed was good enough to send a chill down the spine. After a little local shopping here I bid adieu to the Arawallies and the hill station. Mount Abu had definitely surprised me with its greenery and pleasant weather. I will visit the hill station soon to explore the other places which could not be covered in my quest due to the shortage of time.


Read a related Travelogue:-



0 comments:

Post a Comment