Journey To Udaipur - The City Of Lakes



My trip to Udaipur, a city in the state of Rajasthan was planned two weeks before execution. While deciding between Jaipur and Udaipur a relative of mine suggested going for Udaipur. So the flights were booked the hotel was booked along with a taxi driver to pick us from Airport. Even though planned much earlier I was not getting any jitters that I used to get before a trip. This was my first time in this state and to be honest I was not really in much favor of this trip. But It was all going to change as soon as I stepped in Udaipur. 

Udaipur which is also known as The City of Lakes. Once it was the historic capital of the Kingdom of Mewar. It is located in the southernmost part of the state of Rajasthan near to the Gujrat border. The city offers some fantastical palaces and havelis and is a paradise for those who love architecture. The temples are awestruck. The countless narrow streets can puzzle your mind which only adds to its charm. Markets are filled with vibrant antiques and clothes. Rajasthan is a popular destination for all of these.

Journey To Udaipur

It was the month of December. A cab from my place to Indira Gandhi Airport Terminal 3. On my way to the city while on the plane I got to know why it is called The City of Lake. I could spot many lakes, some huge some small from above. As we came out of the Airport after a mandatory Airport selfie there was our driver who looked no less than a shaahi driver all credit to his big mustache. As I made my way into the city to my surprise it was much greener than what I had anticipated. 

I had booked a three-star hotel which was beside a lake and near to the main market. After a quick shower, I headed for breakfast which was complimentary. Now with my stomach full, I was ready to explore the city. Outside the hotel, my driver was waiting. 

Fateh Sagar Lake


Udaipur is famous in India as the Lake City. Also known as Venice of the East. In my journey, I visited three lakes in total. And each of them had their own story to tell. Fateh Sagar Lake is an artificial lake. It is situated beside the entrance to Moti Magri Hill. The lake is named after Maharana Fateh Singh and was built in 1678 AD. It comprises of three islands and is surrounded by the mighty Aravalli Mountains.

 I took a motorboat ride to the Nehru Park. The park has lush green gardens. After spending two hours here I headed to my next destination.

Saheliyon Ki Bari- A tale of passionate love



Courtyard of Maidens or Saheliyon ki Bari is a token of love by Maharana Sangram Singh for his beloved queen. It is situated in the northern fringes of Udaipur and was built in the year 1710. The garden is spread across a huge area. The suction of water from the lake through channels allows the fountains to run for free. 

It is monsoon here in this garden every single day! There are pools, ponds, fountains, flowers, and greenery all around. These marble elephants which are sculptured from a single piece of stone are my personal favorite. 

After this, I went to Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal. Here you can witness cultural shows and concerts. It is situated in Udaipur only near the Chetak Circle. If you want to get a glimpse of the folk dance, song and puppetry than this is the place. I was totally mesmerized after the show got over. The artists were very talented and I thoroughly enjoyed there. 

After this, I concluded the day by having dinner in a restaurant which gave a perfect view of the Fateh Sagar and went back to my hotel.

Next morning I woke up fully charged and ready to explore another new place. Today I had planned to go to the magnificent Kumbhalgarh which is 65 km from the city. So, I had had to leave a little early in the morning. 

Kumbhalgarh - The Second Longest Stretch of Wall



It was two and a half hour drive from Udaipur. One thing I loved about Rajasthan is that the roads here are in great shape. The journey provided me with some beautiful views. The mighty ramparts of the fort along with unique appearance were enough to get me excited. 

The UNESCO World Heritage Site protected fort has a mark in the history for being the second largest wall after the Great Wall of China it is 3600ft tall and 38km long!

The fort was built in the 15th century by Rana Kumbha. Located at a height of 1100m above the sea level it offers a panoramic view of the countryside. Here I hired a guide who told me an interesting story about the entrance of the fort- Hanuman Pol.

As the king was frustrated after several attempts to built the fort. A sage told him it would require a human sacrifice to build the fort. Therefore the entrance gate is built where the man's head fell.

The birthplace of the great Rajput warrior Maharana Pratap is must visit. Witnessed a number of wars the in Mewar the hill serves as a boundary which is unbreakable. The fort has seven fortified gates and many temples. Along with this is the very famous Lakhola Tank constructed by Rana Lakha. 

The place was quite hot for December and I was wondering what happens here in summers. This place was the highlight of my trip. Half of the day went in exploring the fort which is humongous. 

Haldighati- A Battle to Remember


Been reading about Haldighati throughout the school days I felt nostalgic on arriving here. This battle is considered as a turning point in the history of the Rajputs and the Mughals. The famous battle of haldighati was between the Mughals and Maharana Pratap. According to legends, there was so much bloodshed due to which the place is known as Rakt Talai meaning pond of blood.

Now you must be aware of the story of how Chetak the loyal and beloved horse of Maharana saved him while he was injured himself. And while saving his master he gave his own life. The horse who flew on three legs as one got injured in the battle still remains a symbol of loyalty and companionship. 

A private museum exhibits the details of Maharana Pratap and of the historic battle. A theatre plays a small movie of  5-10 minutes in which the battle is displayed. After visiting the museum Chetak emerged as my favorite.

Pichola Lake- The Biggest Freshwater Lake of Udaipur



This was my last day in this city and I still had two important places left to explore. My flight was sometime in the evening giving me another full day to myself. Taking the opportunity I left for the biggest freshwater lake Pichola.

A boat ride in the lake around the sunrise offered a breathtaking view of the lake as well as the City Palace. On the eastern bank of the lake lies the City Palace. The boat ride took me to Jag Mandir an isolated island on the lake. 


The island has pretty gardens and is a great place to get some photos clicked. After spending some time here I headed to my last destination. 

City Palace- Royalty at its Best



City Palace is an amalgamation of palaces and gardens. Various kings over the centuries built and extended it. The palace has always been an important historic mark as the Maharanas administered the kingdom from here. 

The majestic palace provides a panoramic view of the city which is simply beautiful.


And with that comes the end of my Journey to Udaipur. All those who have not been here I would highly recommend for you to see the beauty yourself.



0 comments:

Post a Comment